The Raspberry Pi 3 is a single board credit card sized computer that has an ultra low cost, compared to typical home computers. The primary reason for its creation was to give kids a low cost computer with which to learn how to program.
It’s got a beefy ARM8 64 bit Quad Core Processor running at 1.2GHz, with 1GB of RAM, and most of the ports and capabilities that any normal computer would have.
Generally, Raspberry Pi computers run a Linux operating system and can play games, run word processing and spreadsheet programs. You can also use a Pi to control electronics, timers, LEDs and other components and devices; often remotely.
Part of the fun comes from learning the core skills of computing, computer languages and playing with technology at a more intimate level not experienced in modern Desktop and Laptop PCs.
The Raspberry Pi 3 Specifications:
- A 1.2GHz 64-bit quad-core ARMv8 CPU
- 802.11n Wireless LAN
- Bluetooth 4.1
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
- 1GB RAM
- 4 USB ports
- 40 GPIO pins
- Full HDMI port
- Ethernet port
- Combined 3.5mm audio jack and composite video
- Camera interface (CSI)
- Display interface (DSI)
- Micro SD card slot (now push-pull rather than push-push)
- VideoCore IV 3D graphics core
Raspberry Pi 3 Kit includes:
- 1x Raspberry Pi™ 3 Model B Single Board Computer
- 1x 32GB microSD card (w/SD Adapter) pre-loaded w/ NOOBS OS image
- 1x Case
- 1x Quick Start Guide with Downloadable Manuals